U N D E R G R O U N D   D R A I N A G E
How to Obtain New Underground Drainage Connection ??

If the House Owner requires New Underground Drainage Connection to let his sewerage water out from septic tanks connected to Municipal Corporation's Underground Drainage Pipe Line, a sum of Rs. 1000/- has to be paid in addition to Road Cutting charges.   Further the house owner has to pay drainage tax with reference to seats arranged in latrine and as per rules stipulated in underground drainage pertaining to Guntur Municipal Corporation.   There is no priority basis with regard to new drainage connection.   The Drainage Connection will be given only to those areas which are already covered in the Drainage Scheme.

The House Owner has to submit Form-A addressed to the Municipal Commissioner through a Licensed Plumber, duly enclosing the cost of Form-A in the form of Challan tax receipts showing the Name of the Owner and Assessment Number.

The size of sewer line connection depends upon the number of users in the residence.

How to Obtain New Underground Drainage Pipe Line ??

New Sewer Lines will be provided where there is no Underground Drainage Pipe Line availability in the locality and also depending upon the willingness of the local public for taking New DHSC and depending upon the Financial Position of the Corporation.   The size of the sewer line will be designed according to the quantum of sewerage pumped out of the above localities.   The New Lines will be provided strictly where the area is covered by the Underground Drainage Scheme and keeping a new capacity of Underground Drainage Treatment works.
How to Lodge Complaint on Underground Drainage ??

Generally, if there is any choaks formed in the premesis of a House, the House Owner has to bear the entire amount to maintain sewerage system.   Thought the choaks was cleared in the premesis and still the sewerage water is not flowing into the main line, the same should be informed to the Citizen Charter [Phone No. 103 & 2345103] of the Corporation.   The normal period of rectification of complaint is 3 days as per the rules prescribed in the Citizen Charter.   If the procedure of is not implemented the same thing should be brought to the notice of the Municipal Commissioner in writing.